There are many home improvement projects one can do to save money. However, which projects are the ones that save homeowners the most money? This blog will go over the top three money saving home improvements that everyone should know.
1. Install Energy Efficient Windows
Installing energy-efficient windows is the top best home improvement project that can save you money. Replacing your windows with energy-efficient ones helps reduce your utility bills, but that’s not all they do. Energy-efficient windows make your home a lot more comfortable, as their performance controls how much heat and cold comes in and escapes out through the windows. They help maintain your house warm during the winter and fresh during the summer. You will no longer have to rely on your HVAC as much, thus saving on your energy bill. Energy-efficient windows have many different features that differentiate them from regular windows. Examples of features energy-efficient windows have include:
- Insulating Glass – Two or more glass panes which are separated by an energy-efficient inert gas or air to reduce thermal transfer.
- Low E – Low E stands for low emissivity. A coating with microscopically thin, transparent metal or metallic oxide which is deposited on the glass surface. They suppress radiative heat flow and reflect interior infrared energy back to the inside, reducing heat loss through the glass.
- Glass Fills – Inert gases, such as Argon, slow the movement of cold and warm air in insulating glass to improve thermal performance.
2. Apply Heat-Reflective House Coating
Applying a heat-reflective house coating is another excellent home improvement option that can save you money. When compared to traditional paints, TEX•COTE® COOLWALL® reflects the sun’s heat and lowers exterior wall surface temperatures by up to 40 degrees. A study conducted by the U.S. Department of Energy’s Oak Ridge National Laboratory showed that TEX•COTE® COOLWALL® could reduce a home’s cooling costs by as much as 22%. The sun beats down on the walls of your home during hot days, which is detrimental for energy efficiency since your home can absorb as much as 90% of radiant heat. All that heat makes the inside of your home hot and uncomfortable. Having to rely on air conditioning to cool your home all the time can be costly.
3. Install Energy Efficient Heating and Cooling System
The third best home improvement project that saves you money is installing an energy-efficient heating and cooling system for your home. This home improvement will be worth the investment as it will definitely lower your energy bill. Heating and cooling costs make up 50% of your home’s entire energy bill. With an energy-efficient HVAC, those costs are known to significantly reduce in the first month, sometimes even by up to 1/3! Other benefits that come with this option include:
- Fewer Repairs – When you have an air conditioner that doesn’t have to work as hard to cool your home, then that means that the equipment will remain in better condition. This saves you time and money.
- Longer Lifespan – Energy efficient air conditioners have a longer lifespan than a regular one. With the proper yearly tune-ups and maintenance, your efficient air conditioning unit could last up to 20 years!
- Environmentally Friendly – You’re not only saving money on your energy bill, but you’re also doing your part in helping the environment!
There are many home improvement projects you can do that will save you money. The top three ways you can do so is by installing energy-efficient windows, applying heat-reflective house coating, and installing an energy-efficient heating and cooling system. We hope this blog helped you get an idea of what you can do for your home to help you save money. For your next home improvement project, give us a call at (855) 405-2426 or click here for a free consultation!